This wooden funerary statuette was part of the collection of king Leopold II. Jean Capart discovered in 1935 that the interior was hollow and contained a fragment of a papyrus (see E. 6857) which proved to be the upper part of Papyrus Amherst VII in the Pierpont Morgan Library in New York. The statuette depicts the 'chief of works of the royal temple' Khai. He wears a long wig on top of which is an atef-crown; this crown, worn above all by Osiris, consists of the white crown of Upper Egypt flanked by two ostrich feathers. On the chest of the figure is a large multicoloured collar. Below the crossed arms is a vertical inscription consisting of the name and title of the deceased. The face and hands of Khai are painted green, the skin colour of Osiris, the god of rebirth.
|KMKG - MRAH [07/003] BRUSSELS
|SCULPTURED; PAINTED; WRITTEN WITH A REED PEN/REED WITH SPLIT NIB